Finding the right web hosting for your WordPress website can be tricky since there are so many options available, and more continue to pop up all of the time. And when it comes to web hosting, chances are you’re looking for affordability, a packed feature set, and stellar customer support that will be there when you run into problems.
Luckily for you, Bluehost, one of the leading hosting service providers in the world, provides all that and more for site owners new and old.
Today, we’re going to take a look at everything Bluehost has to offer WordPress website owners in an effort to help you decide whether it’s the web hosting company for you.
Here's a quick preview:
Shared, Cloud, WordPress, Managed, VPS, and Dedicated Servers
Money Back Guarantee
30-day money back gurantee
Speed and Uptime
Industry standard speed and 99.9% uptime (no uptime guarantee offered)
24/7 live chat and phone support (no email support available)
Proprietary control panel called Bluerock (optimized for WordPress)
1-click WordPress installations, Staging Sites, Unmetered bandwidth and storage, Free SSL certificates, Free domain name (for 1st year), Email accounts
Starting at $2.95/month
Bluehost, founded in 2003 by Matt Heaton and Danny Ashworth in Provo, Utah, powers over 2 million websites spanning the globe.
It’s an official ‘WordPress’ recommended hosting provider and has established itself as one of the most reliable and user-friendly hosting providers around. Bluehost’s parent company, Endurance International Group, has given it the chance to continue to grow and provide the type of hosting services site owners have come to expect.
The team behind Bluehost, all 750+ of them, remain dedicated to providing WordPress website owners top notch customer support (available 24/7), a solid hosting infrastructure, and plenty of helpful features designed to help you grow your blog or business.
Pros and Cons of Bluehost
As with all web hosting companies, Bluehost has its fair share of pros and cons.
Here are some of the things that put Bluehost as a frontrunner:
- Really Cheap Web Hosting: Bluehost boasts some of the cheapest hosting plans in the industry. Starting at $2.95/month, Bluehost has a plan that works for any budget. Plus, there are no hidden fees.
- WordPress Compatibility: as an officially recommended WordPress hosting provider, it makes sense that Bluehost is 100% compatible with the WordPress content management system. This means users have access to 1-click WordPress installations and the new platform Bluerock, which is a WordPress focused control panel designed to integrate seamlessly with WordPress.
- Reliability: Bluehost is known for having an exceptional uptime, despite powering millions of websites at once with tons of traffic.
- Round the Clock Support: you can contact support day or night via Bluehost’s multiple support channels – live chat, email, or phone.
In addition, Bluehost is known for:
- The generous 30-day money-back guarantee
- Easy to use control panel interface
- Free domain name registration for one year
- Built-in security measures to keep your data safe
- Plenty of web hosting plan options
- An easy to use and free affiliate program that pays out big time
Bluehost offer a wide variety of hosting plans that are suitable for for website owners of all sizes and kinds:
- Shared hosting
- Virtual Private Server (VPS)
- Cloud hosting
- Dedicated server
- WooCommerce hosting
- WordPress hosting
- Managed hosting
All Bluehost hosting options come with the ability to install WordPress with 1-click. Plus, they all have an intuitive control panel where you can manage your hosting account, create databases, set up subdomains, add email accounts, and more.
Here are some of the downsides to using Bluehost:
- Higher Renewal Price: despite having cheap entry level prices, the renewal price is higher than average because the free domain name only lasts one year.
- Aggressive Upselling: Bluehost uses an aggressive set of upselling strategies during the signup process. Though you can uncheck all the addons, if you’re not careful, your end price may end up significantly more expensive.
In addition, Bluehost does not:
- Offer free, automatic daily backups
- Offer unlimited features (the fine print reveals there are indeed limits)
- Come with Windows hosting
- Provide an uptime guarantee and compensation for downtime
- Include a free website migration
Bluehost Shared Hosting – A Closer Look
Though Bluehost comes with a ton of different hosting plans for websites of all kinds and sizes, the key hosting option is shared hosting. This type of hosting is ideal for starter sites, those on tight budgets, and those that don’t need a lot of advanced features.
Currently, Bluehost offers four shared hosting tiers.
All Bluehost shared hosting plans come with the following standard features:
- Domain Manager for managing all domains in one place, including main domain names, subdomains, add-on and parked domains, and even international and domestic domains
- Free SSL certificates for encrypting data sent between your site and your visitors’ browsers
- Resource isolation should anyone on a shared server begin to use more than their fair share of resources due to a crash, spike, or hack attack
- The ability to scale as your site grows and upgrade your hosting plan with just a few clicks
- $100 in Microsoft Advertising and Google Ads credits when you spend $25 or more
- Verification on Google My Business
- 24/7 expert support
- 1-click WordPress installations
In addition, each plan comes with a specific set of features designed to help you launch a successful website.
Optional Shared Hosting Addons
If you find your hosting plan is lacking a few features, Bluehost has an extensive a la carte list of premium addons for you to choose from:
- Additional domain names
- Dedicated IP address
- SSL certificates
- SpamExperts Mail Filtering
- Whois Domain Privacy
- Site Backup and Restore Pro
- Expired Account reactivations
- Search Engine Jumpstart
- Content delivery network (CDN) services
- Multi-server management
- Access control
Additional Bluehost Services
In addition to offering a wide range of hosting services, Bluehost also offers additional services that are helpful for website owners trying to launch or grow their businesses.
Domain Name Registration
You can purchase and register a domain name with Bluehost, rather than buy it from a third-party service and connect it to your hosting account. And if you aren’t sure whether the domain name you want is available for purchase, you can easily use Bluehost’s domain name lookup tool.
Each domain comes with the following features:
- Easy management of all domains from one intuitive interface
- Auto renewal of your domain names
- Domain name locking to prevent unauthorized transfers
Having a professional email address that matches your site’s domain is crucial for increasing brand awareness and staying consistent for your site visitors. And while not all hosting providers have email services available, you can bet Bluehost does.
With a Bluehost hosting plan, you can add on Microsoft Office 365 and get the following:
- Custom email address for your domain
- Office applications
- Cloud storage
- Team collaboration using Microsoft Teams
- Outlook web access
- Automatic Microsoft updates
- Security and disaster recovery
- Microsoft 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
- 24/7 expert support
Plans start at $2.99/license/month for the first year and increase as the feature set increases.
Bluehost Documentation and Customer Support
Something you never want to skip out on researching is a web hosting provider’s level of customer support and documentation. After all, there will eventually come a time when you need some help. And whether you want to troubleshoot on your own or reach out to an expert, knowing that there is a knowledge base with helpful information or customer service reps on hand is a must.
Bluehost has a ton of articles, step by step guides, and video tutorials available as part of their extensive knowledge base. The great thing about this knowledge base is that it’s easy to use. There are plenty of helpful categories to choose from and an easy to use search function you can add keywords to. That said, sometimes you need to talk to an actual person. And Bluehost is on hand 24/7 when that time comes.
Bluehost has a 24/7 phone support system that connects you with a customer support representative within minutes. And the best part is, there’s a U.S. number and an international number, showing that Bluehost caters to its customers all around the world.
Additionally, you can conduct a live chat session with technical support or sales and ask as many questions as need from the comfort of your computer.
Customer support representatives typically respond within 1-2 minutes and are knowledgeable about Bluehost services and hosting plans, meaning you’ll get high-quality help pretty quickly and without a lot of back and forth.
Keep in mind that Bluehost does not have a ticketing system like many other web hosting providers do. In fact, Bluehost did away with their ticketing system in an effort to approach support in a more personal and instant manner.
Though the theory behind this is good, some people may miss the ticketing system that's often easier to use in the case of a complex issue that can’t be resolved with a quick phone call or live chat session.
Conclusion: Is Bluehost the Right Web Host for You?
In the end, Bluehost is a leading WordPress hosting company for good reason. It comes with all the standard features you’d expect from a high-quality web host, affordable prices, and the kind of customer support all website owners need.
Most importantly, its hosting plans meet the needs of all website owners, whether new or seasoned pros.
If you’re just starting out, there is no going wrong with a Bluehost shared hosting plan. It won’t break the bank, is super simple to use, and comes with all the right tools you need to run a successful WordPress website. And, as your site grows, you can easily upgrade and scale your hosting resources with a few clicks.
So, what are you waiting for? Get started with Bluehost today.